RE: (ET) snow blower

Rhett is perfectly correct.

As I said in my earlier post today, I do not know if ANY snow-throwers or
blowers used a motor that could easily be braked.  None of the ones I have
seen do.  Truth is, the snow-thrower plugs into the SAME PTO circuit that
brakes the mower deck and the sickle-bar mower (yes, I have one and it
does indeed brake), and possibly others like the power broom or power
rake, but I have seen neither.  It does NOT brake the snow-thrower or
tiller (both of which I have), and there may be others here too, but I
can't imagine which.  The circuit works, but series motors don't work that
way with it, you just get NO braking.  One could design a circuit to brake
it, but the cost would be prohibitive and involve generating a back EMF
and probably be pulsed out of phase as well, and would have to be switched
or detect what sort of motor is involved.  Also, notice devices that
needed high torque with a varying load, the snow-thrower and tiller, got
the series wound motors because in that size !
they are cheaper.  Now, did GE ever have a motor that could brake that was
shipped on a snow-thrower?  I don't know.  Bill might.  If you look at the
old publicity photos and the early brochures, you see a smaller motor on
one tiller.  It might be a really big PM, but the snow-thrower is even
BIGGER YET (I'm not sure it has higher capacity).  The sickle-bar mower
has a 'double-length' PM motor (same dia. as a larger deck motor) that
probably does about 2 HP or so; but even that's not big enough.  Besides,
it would slug badly in heavy snow.  Same story for the tiller.  I have not
seen a bigger PM motor than the one on the sickle-bar mower in real life,
and certainly not from GE.

Larry Elie