RE: (ET) charger -- resend from delay

From: Jeremy Gagliardi com [mailto:Jeremy Gagliardi com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2001 9:37 AM
To: Elek-Trak
Subject: Re: (ET) charger -- resend from delay
"
There are some things unusual about my E-20.  It was bought sometime
around '73 to '74 (not sure when Wheelhorse took over).  Mine not only
has a horn*, but it has a hand crank for engine speed, instead of a
pedal.  One more unusually thing is that the original console board
shows a rabbit and a turtle icon, but a separate piece was grafted over
that with a Fwd/Rev switch and a button labelled "Cruise".  I have no
idea how the Cruise feature works, and I really have no idea how to
shift this thing from one gear to another (it has D1, D2, L & LL).  I do
not have an owner's manual.
"
Cruise is on all the full-size ET's.  It doesn't do what you might think.
It's main application is to give a boost to start the tractor moving.  For
example; on a large hill if you were in D2 and press the throttle
foreword, the tractor may inch forward at first, or perhaps not move at
all.  Press the 'cruise' button and you get a boost to get the motor
turning.

The gears, D1, D2, L and LL are on all the full-frame models.  The ET has
a Peerless transmission used in other garden tractors.  Pick a gear when
the motor is not turning, then use the speed control in that gear.  LL is
for tilling.  L is for heavy mowing or snow blowing, D1 is for normal
mowing or light snow blade.  D2 if for transit, light mowing, of towing a
cart.

The 'crank' speed control is probably because the foot speed control on an
E20 is hard to keep at an accurate slow speed.  It's great for mowing and
snow plowing, but it isn't good for tilling for example, where you don't
want any changes in speed.  Most people who do much tilling use an E15 for
that reason, but the crank probably works as well.

Larry Elie