RE: (ET) Battery removal

On 26 Sep 2001, at 8:48, Vanderhoef, Roy wrote:

> slip the terminal
> ends over the pole and lift ...

I used to use a battery lifter that grabbed the terminals, but no more.
The terminals are not meant for lifting.  Doing so will destroy the seal
between the post and battery top.

Use one of these battery lifters once, and forever more you will have
electrolyte (acid) seeping up and getting into the terminal clamp of at
least one post, maybe all of them.  Ugh.

US Battery (Interstate Workaholic) and I believe Trojan batteries (at
least Trojans used to) come with lifting fittings molded into the tops.
A dealer can supply a lifting handle to fit these.  Usually they'll give
you one if you buy a tractor-full of batteries.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.