RE: (ET) Battery removal

Kevin Asked

Rather than try to reinvent the slingshot, I would like to hear your
methods
of removing batteries when service inside the battery compartment is
needed.

Also, what is the wire gauge of the fixed battery leads at either end of
the
battery stack?

I'll answer the second question first,  #6 gauge I get mine at an
electrical
supply house.

FIRST, GET AND WEAR EYE PROTECTION, and mechanic's gloves are a good idea
too.
SECOND,  do not lift the batteries by their connecting studs

I try very hard not to lift or move these batteries with just my strength.
am too short and too small to manhandle These massive beast. So I have to
use my brain rather than you brawn.

I remove my batteries, with a small block and tackle that I have mounted to
the ceiling of my garage. I bought the blocks and the rope at my local
hardware store. (my guess it the whole thing cost under $20) I also use
this
rig for lifting my (battery less tractor) up on its "tail" so I can work on
the underside. I lift it from the front and hang it like a side of beef (so
to speak). I got this idea from this list about a year ago.

But back to the batteries.
I have two types, one set of batteries (Interstate Workaholics) have
lifting
loops on the top. I use a nylon (the kind you use to tie stuff to your roof
racks on the car)  strap, I thread it through the loop and the hook the
strap to the block.  Then I lift away, once they are clear of tractor I
guide them to a dolly I made,  set them on it and just roll them out of the
way. I also take this opportunity to give the batteries a wash with baking
soda and water, then I rinse them down well with water usually in my drive
way with the garden hose.
The other set of batteries I have do not have lifting loops, I use the same
procedure as for the Workaholics, except I have a battery lifting clamp. I
purchase this from Harbor Freight, but I've seen them around at auto part
store, there even a Snap On version if you feel rich. This is a clamp and
handle that fits over the top of the battery and grabs the sides as you
lift
the handle in the centre, it is a tight fit but it does go over. I wiggle
the clamp over the battery, then hook the block to the handle of the clamp,
then lift away. This is especially effective for removing the first battery
from the rear battery box, or installing the last battery in the rear.

Installing the batteries is just the same process in reverse.

Use one hand on the rope to lift  and use the other to gently guide the
battery. It is surprisingly easy.

By taking your time, think about what you are doing and using the
mechanical
advantage of the a blocks, this is a simple safe and easy way to handle
these some what massive parts.

O yea, I always take the hood and the seat off before I start, it make life
a lot easier. I prefer working smart to working hard.

 Geof Thompson B. Sc.
Data Management Engineer
Canadian Hydrographic Service
Central and Arctic Region
867 Lakeshore Road
Burlington, Ontario
Canada. L7R 4A6

Phone (905) 336-4698
Fax (905) 336-8916
E-mail Thompsong dfo-mpo gc ca <mailto:Thompsong dfo-mpo gc ca>