RE: (ET) ET amp meter wierdness

Chris -

If the loose or bad connection was in the sense wires that feed up to the
meter, it would read zero or low.  From the way these things are wired I
wonder if your shunt wire itself is starting to develop a bad connection.
This could cause the meter to see a higher then normal voltage.  Since you
did not see any operational effect, it must not be too bad of a connection
so far, but maybe this is an early warning sign of a problem that could
eventually leave you stranded.  If nothing appears wrong with the shunt
wire
connections, you may want to check them for warmth after a session where it
does this trick again.

Also, I don't know how well the amp gauge would stand the full 36 volts it
would see if the shunt were to open up entirely some day.  It would be bad
enough to grind to a halt - smoking the gauge would add insult to injury.

- Tom Coate
E-20, Leesburg, VA