RE: FW: (ET) batt's, new gauge points, and a faq draft for discus sion

-----Original Message-----
From: daveb seanet com [mailto:daveb seanet com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2001 5:57 AM
To: lelie ford com; elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: FW: (ET) batt's, new gauge points, and a faq draft for
discussion

For me this is a great and timely write-up.  Thanks Larry!

I just bought 6 brand new US2300 deep cycle batteries. BTW the caps on
these
are really slick being tied together with an easy thumb fore-finger grip
loosen and remove all 3 caps at once.  very nice.  And they're less likely
get lost or knocked about.

Anyway I've had these questions about the timer of my E15S's charger:

1.  It doesn't appear to matter if I turn the knob clockwise or
counter-clockwise.  True?  Or am I damaging (have damaged) something doing
this?  Usually I turn it counter-clockwise to the desired (guessed at)
setting.

2.  From memory I think the knob has these 3 markings  1-2yrs,  3-5yrs,
5-6yrs
with 1-2yr giving the longest charge (about 18hrs?).  For me, Larry's
write up
begs the question of what setting is best for my virgin batteries?  Or
should I
baby sit them the first coupla times taking voltage readings every 3 or 4
hours
(difficult for me to do because the e-trac is not at home being at best an
hour
away)?  I realize new batteries will have larger capacity than old
probably
sulfated batteries hence the longer charge times for new batteries.
Correct?
but is it advisable to "bulk" charge brand new batteries for a full 18
hours?

thanks again,
dave
E12S
Seattle

1.)  I have seen several different knobs, but only one timer.  SEVERAL of
them had bad timers.  BTW, the timer is replaceable without changing the
charger.  The only working timer I have does have a stop; you can only
turn one way.  CAUTION!  On one machine I had, the stop was broken (it
sounds like yours...).  The timer would go to 0, turn off for a while, and
then go BEYOND STOP.  The charger then came back on, this time
indefinitely.

2.)  This one is opinion.  The main idea of the charger is to make the
lowest battery come up to a point where all of it's cells are charged.
Ignoring the timer, if you get the lowest battery up close to 7 or 7.1V,
the battery pack will be fully charged, and the voltage will drop to 38 or
39V total a few hours after you turn it off.

Larry