Re: (ET) batteries

on 9 Aug 2001, at 14:38, Neil Dennis wrote:

> A long period of trickle charging will
> cause sulfation and lost capacity.

Actually trickle-charging causes positive grid corrosion, not sulfation,
but the effect is the same -- lost capacity and long-term damage.  Don't
do it.

If possible, store the batteries in a cool, dry location and keep them
clean and dry.  You can float-charge them as described on this list, but
I prefer periodic charging.  Which you choose probably depends on the
equipment at your disposal; you need a tightly regulated charger or power
supply for float charging.

About every 3 weeks, connect a constant voltage charger at 2.45 volts per
cell, leaving it until current falls below roughly 2-4% of the amp-hour
capacity (about .5 to 1 amp for typical golf car batteries).

This is replace energy lost to self-discharge.  The cooler they are kept,
the less they will self-discharge.  (Put them in the deep freeze? <g>)

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.