RE: (ET) time for a new pack...

I measure across the full pack.  What do you measure DURING charge?  When
the needle goes into the white (charging) region?  At 47V (max I allow)
the needle is about 1/4 the way into the charge region.  You don't want it
that high for long as you start gassing.  42.5V or so is well in the green
region, perhaps 2/3 of the way up.  39.2 is perhaps a bit below the mid
point of the green.  I don't drop to 39V until about 2 hours of mowing.
There are some battery charge links you might want to check on this.  2.4V
per cell auto, 2.5V per cell deep-discharge are rule of thumb charge
limits.  There are 3 cells in ALL '6V' batteries.  That's 7.5V each or 45V
for the pack at 2.5V per cell or 7.2 at 2.4V per cell.  That agrees pretty
well with the bottom of the white charge region.  Not that we will all
agree on this; Neil Dennis quoted an article in great detail some time ago:

"The recommended best
charging method  for industrial use is constant current until about 90%
of full charge, than constant voltage to complete as this is
automatically self limiting.  Use about 2.35 volts max per cell.  My
book says that a battery may be charged at an amp rating equal to its
amp/hour rating if fully discharged - i-e a 100 amp hour battery may be
charged at 100 amps.  If only 60% discharged the rate should be 60 amps
and ad-infinitum.  "

I think he had a battery page link for that as well.  I think those values
are equally valid.  That is about 7V per battery, not the 7.5 I target,
regardless, that gives 42.3V, significantly above the 39.2V you are
quoting.  BTW, ALL of these values are at no-load; the load will indeed
droop the meter reading significantly.  My meter is a 4-1/2 digit Fluke.
I'm pretty confidant about the values.  I'd be less confidant about how
your and my fuel meter agree.

Larry Elie