RE: (ET) Interesting & Good News/Electrical Restoration

Geof,

The most important thing I found in doing electical restoration was to
tage all the connection points, and photgraph them so I could put it back
together again.

But at some point to do get the entire electical harness out of the ET.
Mine was pretty dirty, so... (1) mark on a wire spots where all the tie
wraps are on the harness with nail polish..(2) cut the tie wraps..(3)
clean each wire individually (I used the wax/grease solvent I used to wash
down a primered panel before I painted it).. (4) Tie wrap it back up,
remove the nail polish..(5) check each connector .. clean, recrimp,
replace as needed. I did my entire harness in an afternoon.

On the control panels, I did the same cleaning process. I tested all the
relays (just wired up the batts on the floor to make 36v).. the junk
master power on/off switch was tossed in favor of Bill sealed unit (a
no-brainer).. on the charger side I replaced the capacitor and the
heatsink/diode. Each of the boards was cleaned with circuit board cleaning
spray (Radio Shack). All connectors were shined up.

On the lift, I just disassembled and cleaned it up. The motor is sealed,
but the gears, etc needed cleaned and some fresh grease.

Speed control.. first scribe some alignment marks on it show you can put
it back togther right! Disassemble, clean, re-lube, and re-assemble.

I later rev that I did was to remove the automotive-style battery clamp
cables and solder on terminals, since my new Trojans have that bolt that
goes through the post to attach to. Much nicer, and I will post a www-page
on how to do it.

Don

>>> <ThompsonG dfo-mpo gc ca> 06/21/01 06:38AM >>>
Hi Don

I am so glad that Bill Gunn is staying in the business. For selfish reasons
and also because this technology need to be preserved,  if for no other
reason than to promote alternative energy. The technology may be dated but
the concepts are as fresh as to-day's business news. I had an article cross
my desk (that I will be posting on the list when it's done circulating)
that
describe an electric commuter car being made in BC that uses a Curtis
Controller, 36VDC motor and deep cycle lead acid batteries. It's  even
painted Sunflower Yellow, put a mower on it and we got a covered ET.

        While I've got your attention I was wondering how you approached
the
restoration of you E15's electrical system. You see, I am in I the process
of restoring an E12. I would like to a ground up restore, (so you are my
idol right now). Your pictures document the metal restoration and I
thank-you for this. You also said that you sent the motor out to a shop I
am
in the process of doing this now.
        However, it would help me a lot to understand the process you used
to restore the electrical system. If this looks like I want to copy your
processes and procedures you dead right and I will be a very happy person
if
I can reproduce your results with my E12M.

Thanks in advance.
Geof Thompson B. Sc.
Data Management Engineer
Canadian Hydrographic Service