(ET) Tiller shields?

My tiller is working well.  I never had a manual, and so I'm not sure if I
have 'all' of it or not.  There are a number of 5/16" square punched holes
around the top of the sheet metal.  I assume they are for shields.  It
isn't obvious from the small picture I got off the net.  Many other brands
of tillers have a spring-loaded back shield, and side shields as well.
Can anyone confirm or deny that there were either standard or optional
shields for the tiller before I set out to make some?  Or are they for
something else?  Or were there any other add-ons to the tiller?  Also, the
round 'tool-bar' that the tiller mounts to can be installed 'high' or
'low'.  I have tried both, but other than for ground clearance to the bar
I can't see much difference, any comments?  Finally, the back spring
doesn't seem to get much action; why is it there?

Larry Elie