From: Waldo T. Boyd [mailto:wboyd netdex com]
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2001 3:44 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: (ET) Battery care and fresh air...

Re the Willys/USN-Submarine Battery Man's statement -- What a beautiful
breath of fresh air!  As an old Navy man in charge of a multi-rack of
series-connected 350-volt lead-acid jars (emergency radio supply), I
endorse his list 100 percent!  Print-out that e-mail in bold letters and
hang it on the wall where you garage your ET.  And do keep in mind that
DISTILLED water is the ONLY water for lead-acid batteries -- supermarket
"distilled" (with or without quotes) is tap water run through Zeolite
crystals, nothing more. Better than tap, but not yet equal to the real
thing.  Distill your own if you have to, using stainless steel pipe, not
iron or copper or aluminum, or use carefully furrowed transparent
plastic over a large pan of tap water sitting in the sun (see The
Amateur Scientist of Scientific American on the Internet).  You are
going back to Nature with an ET --might as well go another step along
the way and make your own battery water (but don't drink it --unlike
your batteries, you need trace mineral elements in your drinking
water).   --Old Navy Man, Waldo.