Re: (ET) Conversion to Fet Motor controller?

In a message dated 3/27/01 7:07:22 PM Pacific Standard Time, paulc snet
net
writes:

<<
 I have had a E-20 now for about 5 years and I really enjoy the tractor.
 What I would like to do is hear from anyone that has done a conversion to
 FET bases
 speed controller for the traction motor.

 >> Paul, I converted my E-20 to a 275 amp Curtis controller last summer.
used the controller on the armature circuit and I built a simple
transistor
circuit to control the field current. You probably wouldn't want to
connect
the field to the armature as that would limit the motor speed to a fairly
low
rpm. I have a wiring diagram of the conversion that I would be happy to
send
you if you send me a SASE to Kirk VanGelder, 22308 NE 68th ST, Vancouver,
WA
98682

<< I think I could handle the circuitry conversion but I sure there would
also
 be some pitfalls.
 Which controller was used?   What did you do with the field winding?  Tie
 the 36 VDC.

 As far as current is concerned I once did a test using a 1000 Amp Shunt
and
 found there to be
 around 330 amps of locked rotor current so with this in mind I have an
idea
 as to what size controller.
 This was with new Trojan 220 bats.

 Would like to hear from others.  Please post to the list. >>