RE: (ET) other thing not designed for elec traks....

Tim, I too have been thinking about this.  Sometimes seriously,
sometimes not.

Yes, ball-screws are rated for both load and speed.  Many are too
slow; some are fast.  That in fact IS the biggest problem.  Simple
switch or relay control is out for a fast ball-screw; I use an
8,000 lb. 1/2 yd Oliver Cleat-trak loader, and most of the time
you want SLOW up, but not always.  I suspect that is why GE didn't
use ball-screws.  Yes, I know all about speed control, but it gets
complex real quick.  If I were to do this I would go SLOW all the
time as you can still work in that mode.  You can get ones with
worm drive or locking screws when not electrically engaged.

Another possibility is a rolling ring style linear actuator;
http://www.rollring.com/traverse_units.htm
These give good speed control, variable force etc BUT there is a
down side; the shaft needs to turn all the time or have a shaft-
brake.  This constant turning ends up being the mechanical equivalent
of a hydraulic accumulator.

I have even thought up one based on a power seat for the blade
tilt portion.  Slow, but cheap, easy to control and enough power.

So, if I were to do this, I would go with simple switch/relay
control, ball-screws rated with enough thrust, and single
slow speed operation.  And it would mount to the NORMAL front
blade mount; not the fancy one.

Larry Elie