RE: (ET) Polarity and Installing Batteries

-----Original Message-----
From: Lordphipps999 aol com [mailto:Lordphipps999 aol com]
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2001 2:24 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: (ET) Polarity and Installing Batteries

I have an E-12 and am .about to install the batteries. The 2 in the front are
in correctly.
Under the seat there are 2 main cables, but how can I test to see which is
pos and which is neg? One of the cables has a thinner wire attached to it.
Also there is another thin wire tha
goes someplace. I need some advice.

If the thing hasn't been modified, the wiring should be about like this:

At the moment, the wire from your power disconnect should be connected to the +
side of the back battery of front pair of batteries (B2) under the front hood.  You
should already have a heavy jumper running from the - of that battery (B2) to the +
on the front most battery (B1).  Now it gets interesting.

The - lead from the front most battery (B1) runs through a hole under the charger
area and all the way to the back under the seat.  The wire is labeled 00.  The hole
is on the right from the driver's seat.  It should appear to be the SHORTER of the
two heavy leads as far the the part protruding from under the tractor and into the
box under the seat.  You can check to see with an ohm-meter to make sure it
goes to the - of B1.  That long lead comes out on the right side (again from seated position) and connects up to the + terminal of the of the right-side
(from the seat) front most battery under the seat (B3).  The - from that battery (B3)
goes to a heavy jumper and to the forward left battery + (B4).  A heavy jumper runs
from the - of B4 straight back to the rear left battery (B6) + terminal.  Another heavy
jumper goes from B6 - to the + on the right rear battery (B5).  Finally, another long
wire runs from the right rear battery - (B5) to the panel area; this wire is labeled 4
and goes to the 2F connector.

The lift (very light wire) runs to the point between B3 and B4, that is the - of B3 or
the + of B4 (it doesn't matter) while the other side of the lift is at the panel.

Look for 36 to 41 V between the + of B2 (rear battery under front hood) and - of B5
(rear right battery) to check yourself.

I guess I need to keep a scanned schematic on hand.  I can try tomorrow.

Larry Elie