Re: (ET) (no subject)

On 8 Feb 2001, at 12:59, Lordphipps999 aol com wrote:

> I wish someone would scan an ET manual so we could download it.

It sounds like you have assumed the manuals are out of print.  Good news!
 They're not.  Bill Gunn at Technical Service and Parts (608 868-6220)
can supply one.

Scanning the manuals for the web might be a good idea if they WERE out of
print.  But since they're not, it would be ill-advised for several
reasons:

1.  Though someone on this list doesn't think so because there's no
copyright statement in the publications, I believe that Bill Gunn holds
the copyright nevertheless.  Scanning one and putting it up online (1)
could expose the person so doing to a legal liability

2. If not illegal, it's still unethical given the fact that Bill has the
manuals for sale.

3. Anything we do to take sales away from Bill just hastens his departure
from the support business.

4.  Finally, even if all the above didn't apply, there are practical
limits because of the sheer amount of documentation, and its size.
Scanning it all as graphics or PDF would take a considerable amount of
server space.  And scanning in all the text, OCRing it, converting to
HTML, scanning the photos and linking them, and all the other little bits
would be very time-consuming.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
1974 Honda Civic EV 96vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
NOTE: If you receive an email which exhorts you to "Send
this to everyone you know," you don't know me.