Re: (ET) Battery Charger

Well, in answer to your question, "yes, sort-of"

Trying to replace each diode in the heat sink is difficult and can give
inadequate results. The BEST solution is to replace the entire heat
sink. (It looks like a flat silver-colored sheet of metal with 2 bold
holes at the bottom to attach to the base next to the charger and
contains 2 diodes in the center. The two wires coming out of them are
attached to the leads from the charger. A third lead is attached to one
of the bolts that holds the heat sink in position.)

I believe replacement of the entire heat sink to be the best approach,
and for 15 bucks and 15 minutes of your time, you can be back in running
order.

I have 2 electracks that I use on a regular basis here on the farm. They
are not a hobby or a toy for me. They are workhorses, and I cannot
afford down time (in summer). When the batteries run out of power on
one, I start it charging and go out with the other. That way I can get
in around a 10 hour day, which is required by weather conditions from
time to time. Because I cannot afford downtime, I need to fix the
tractors reliably and quickly when any problems occur. Replacing a diode
would take time and then the problem might have to be addressed again.
With a new heat sink, the problem is solved (for probably another 30
years before it breaks again) and I can forget about it and get on with
work.

I must admit that when I started repairing my ETs myself, I knew very
little.  I learned a lot from the repair manuals (everyone should buy a
copy of these), but I learned a lot more from talking to a few users on
this list (not everyone gives the correct answers - but some people are
VERY knowledgeable) AND I LEARNED A LOT FROM BILL at technical services
when ordering parts from him.

I hope this information helps.

john