Re: (ET) Battery Charger

On 24 Jan 2001, at 9:54, jim wrote:

> The advantage of the Lester is the higher final voltage
> that I don't believe the ET charger is capable of.

I don't consider this an advantage. Most Lester chargers I've seen have
too high a finish rate (8 amps typical), causing excessive water use and
shortening service life.  I've heard that they can be ordered with a
lower finish rate (4 or 5 amps, I think) but dealers seem to seldom stock
them that way.

Also, their DV/DT charge controllers are a good idea, but they often
don't shut off soon enough.  They are supposed to shut down the charger
when the voltage increase levels off, but sometimes don't do so until the
battery has heated up enough for the voltage to actually drop.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
1974 Honda Civic EV 96vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
NOTE: If you receive an email which exhorts you to "Send
this to everyone you know," you don't know me.