(ET) manuals on CD?

-----Original Message-----
From: Pieter Litchfield [mailto:plitch attglobal net]
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 8:39 AM
To: David Roden (Akron OH USA)
Subject: RE: (ET) E15 on Ebay, a helping hand

I've taken a careful look at my copy of the "home owner's service manual"
part OPS-74-4035, and find no copyright notice or mark.  Since copyright
requires notice in much the same way that property posting requires proper
signs (at least where I live), I don't think there is much of a case that
the copyright, if any, could be easily protected.

That being said, I did spend some time exploring the idea of reproducing
manuals with Bill Gunn - I wouldn't do anything to cut into his trade, and
suggested to him, in writing, that if anything was scanned into PDF format
(or any other) on CDROM I would work out a deal that protected his
investment/business (for example - making him the exclusive agent for such
publications).  We also had a long phone conversation (thanks Bill!), but
nothing was really concluded.

Technically this is not a killer concept.  However, the question of
economics is problematic - is there any demand for manuals on CD?  Or at
least enough to warrant the effort.  Making individual CD's from a master
is
very cheap (10 minutes and $1.00 in materials), but the time investment in
scanning and indexing hundreds of pages could be prohibitive unless there
is
enough demand to defray the labor cost.  I'm guessing a few hundred copies
at least would be needed to get anyone really interested in doing it, even
at minimum wage rates.

As with a previous post, I'd suggest that the above mentioned "home owners
service manual" or a dealer shop manual (do they exist?) covering all
models
plus the Peerless transaxle manual would be helpful.  I also found a
wheelhorse-GE parts number cross-reference list.  I'm sure there's more of
interest.

Why GE never bothered to copyright the home owners manual is surprising to
me, but as a group I think we all seem to agree that we need to support the
cause of keeping ETs alive and well by acting responsibly in supporting our
parts guy!