Re: (ET) E15 on Ebay, a helping hand

Hey Don,

Being the frugal Yank I am I just go to Sears and get their Golf Car
batteries right off the shelf. About 300.00 for 6. They have done fine for
about 4 or 5 years so far. There are better batteries out there I'm sure
so check around. Figure out how many more years you might get for your
money. The Sears (Exide last I checked) do
wheel stands on my E20. (Got to replace those belts with a chain!!)

Next you asked about lubing. The steering has zirk bushings under the
chassis and you should take off the cover in front of your feet and after
you check for loose wires and chafing wires (against the steering post)
you should clean and grease the steering gears. Also check for play as
there are shims underneath that will take up
the gear lash if need be. I have had success using "electrical connector
box reducers" available at your electrical supply. Next the spindles and
the wheel bearings (front) all have zirks as well. Next drain the
differential and replace the gear oil with synthetic gear oil, either
Mobil 1, Amzoil, or others. As far as motor bearings
are concerned I would just run it and keep an ear open for dry bearing
squeal. Break Away or some Mobil 1 motor oil squirted on the pulley side
bearing can buy you a little time and rebearing the motor is easy if you
are used to that type of thing. ( the brushes get a little tricky during
reassembly) Otherwise take it to a motor
man. Mower motors are a good warmer upper before tackling the BIG boys.
WARNING!! The magnets are very powerful and can give you one hell of a
pinch or worse. They can also shatter if allowed to have their way and
slam against the armature. Also a growler is great for testing the
armature if you aren't sure about one. They can be
found at yard sales, etc. More on this if you need it.

As to manuals, I'm sure between all of us we must have every manual ever
written on these ETs. I have quite a collection myself. Some are easier to
take apart than others for copy purposes. What I have done in the past is
email a scanned page or 2 to someone in need. Others do the same.
Somewhere along the line the PDF idea sounds
great especially available on the net. I have tons of space left on my
mediaone page allowance even after all my photos, music etc.

If you have any more questions (or if I failed to address one) let me (us)
know.

Jim
http://people.ne.mediaone.net/fiskfarm/GE-Wheelhorse.Elec-Trak.html