From: Neil Dennis [mailto:wombat RealNS com]
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2000 9:03 PM
To: Elec-trak
Subject: (ET) blown relay

Dave, "Knock on wood" I've never had a fried relay on my E-12. you must
be unlucky or something.  Yes, the varistor is a device to absorb
voltage surges when working correctly.  Its probably easier to replace
it than try to check it without special equipment.  Also, a diode across
the relay coil will shunt voltage spikes - just be sure the diode can
carry the current generated, they usually blow open and you lose
protection.

wombat