(ET) Transmission Trouble

My 36 volt GE Electrak E10 Prototype decided to stop moving today.
The motor, all belts and pulleys turn, but the rear wheels refuse to
engage no matter what gear I use (reverse, low, drive-1, or drive-2).
Has anyone had this problem.
I suspect that something is wrong with the shifting mechanism in the
rear.
I am contemplating removing the entire rear axle, transmission, wheels in
one module and then investigate further.
Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Menlo Park II,
Bill, Glastonbury, CT
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!