(ET) "I'm gonna run this tractor ...

... 'til the wheels fall off!"

And it looks like they might.

I was mowing today and noticed that the left front wheel seemed to be
wobbling quite a bit.  So I stopped and jacked up the front of the
tractor.  Sure enough, that wheel has a worrisome amount of axial play --
something like one-quarter of an inch.  The other front wheel has much
less, perhaps half that, but seems awfully loose too.

These wheels don't have real bearings -- they are just sleeves with a
grease pocket, fastened to the spindles with lockbolts.  So I guess at
least the left sleeve is about worn out.

Or could it be that the lockbolt is a bit long, and bottoms before it
gets tight enough to stabilize the wheel?

Has anyone else had this problem? What's the solution?  Will I have to
buy a new wheel, or can I have a new sleeve pressed in?  If so, where?

Many thanks.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
1974 Honda Civic EV 96vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
NOTE: If you receive an email which exhorts you to "Send
this to everyone you know," you don't know me.