(ET) QUESTION

I just got an e12 running. It's been sitting since 1981.

I have a problem. The fuel gage read low with fresh new batteries. When
I purchased the batteries, the auto store said that they were charged
and ready to go. I have Exide batteries GC-2, from NAPA (part number
8144). I put a voltmeter on the batteries and got 6.25 or so on each. I
put the voltmeter on all of them installed (with the "power disconnect"
disconnected) and got 37.5-9 volts (depending on when the reading was
taken - before charging - during charging - at rest after charging - or
after use). When charging the fuel gage does not register in the "CHG"
section of the meter, it registers just above half way between E and F.

After mowing for 1.5 hours, the gauge went down somewhat - sometimes
dipping below E into the RED when mowing uphill. After driving the
tractor back to the barn and parking it, the gauge read just above E.
Putting a volt meter on the batteries with the "power disconnect"
disconnected the voltage now read 37 exactly. (this reading is taken
across all 6 batteries from the cable connection for (-) under the seat
to the cable connection for (+) under the hood.)

My question is: is there something wrong with the tractor?
Or did I wire the batteries in incorrectly?
Or is the gauge not functioning correctly?

I had an Electrak many years ago, and when using this one (it's only
been operational since yesterday) it seems to have less power when
mowing up hill than I recall. Could this be a symptom of low batteries?

Amazingly enough, it did not take a lot of work to make the tractor
function after sitting inoperable (with the original batteries) for 19
years.

I have an ELECTRAK Product Service Manual and could not find the answer
in it.

Any help or advice that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and best wishes,
John Fedor
Vermont