Re: (ET) keeping batteries charged

I convert all my ET's to automatic golf cart chargers by mounting a 30A
range receptacle (just like the mower receptacle) usually right behind
the trimmer / accessory  receptacle. I then run #10 wires from the
trimmer receptacle to the new one (observing polarity or BIG sparks).
These chargers are expensive (about $600.00) but you will get many more
years out of a set of batteries.

This arrangement takes about 1/2 hour per ET (at most) and the charger
plugs right in. I keep the on board chargers in good shape for field
emergencies only. We often run up to 3 ET's at once on major chores
around the farm and do a lot of charging.

With patience I picked up two of these beauties (golf cart chargers) on
a 750.00 barter for two golf carts and two chargers. The commercial
dryer I traded cost me 100.00. Both carts had 6 new and 6 good batteries
as well. Since then I picked up another charger for free and sold it for
250.00. I bore you with these details to say "keep your eyes open " for
such bargains.

These chargers have a solid state circuit that tests the bats. and take
all the guess work out of the charging process. They are so good that
you almost never have to add water!  They do not maintain a charge,
however, as they won't start a new charge cycle until unplugged and
replugged from the bats. so we just move them from one ET to another
every month or so when in storage.

Let me know if anyone wants more details. I try to bring modern golf
cart tech to the ETs whenever possible.
A Yamaha solid state controller would be oh so nice.

Jim

http://people.ne.mediaone.net/fiskfarm/GE-Wheelhorse.Elec-Trak.html
begin:vcard
n:Fisk;Jim