[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: (ET) Electronic control modification update - It worked!
- Subject: Re: (ET) Electronic control modification update - It worked!
- From: "MR23=Christopher Meier \(Mtka, MN, USA\)" <mr23 worldspy net>
- Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 02:08:49 -0500
- Organization: Mr23
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: owner-elec-trak cosmos5 phy tufts edu
Put a controller pre-charge circuit in.
Check the EV archive (http://www.egroups.com/group/ev)
----- Original Message -----
From: <Kirkvg aol com>
To: <elec-trak cosmos5 phy tufts edu>
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2000 9:11 PM
Subject: (ET) Electronic control modification update - It worked!
> To all, I spent about 4 hours going over every wire from the positive end
> the pack to the negative end. I put tape on each end of each wire as I
> and checked the crude wiring diagram that I had been creating. That was
> definetly tedious. The scary thing was that I didn't find any wires
> wrong or extra. That made me a little nervous since I have been working
> this for the last 3 years (more off than on). Anyway, I decided that I
> light it up on 24 volts instead of 36. So I used two old car batteries
> were laying around.
> As I connected the power disconnect I got a good sized spark. This would
> freaked me out if I didn't know that the large capacitors inside the
> controller needed to charge up. As I connected it the second time it
> spark (I admit I did check the fuses just in case).
> I decided to start out easy so I checked the lights first. They worked
> One down two to go. Next, I tried the front lift (12 volts only). It
> work. :( But then I remembered that I took out the fuse so that I only
> to worry about one circuit at a time. I pluged the fuse in and tried it
> again. It worked both up and down. :)
> Two down and one to go. Never mind that it was the complicated drive
> I turned the key on and waited to see if there would be any smoke. So far
> good. I made sure the forward/reverse switch was in forward, hesitating
> push on the throttle unsure of what would happen. Not able to
> any longer I pushed the throttle. Nothing happened. :( I took a
> look and saw that I had the seat up and that meant that the safety switch
> not engaged. Maybe I will be OK yet. I held the seat switch down and the
> relay clicked on. I waited a few seconds to check for smoke. None :)
> pushed the throttle down a little bit and the motor started spinning.
> YES!!! I pushed it down further and it sped up! COOL!! I pushed it
> the way down and it sped up more. I put it in gear and did that a
> more times and the tires turned forward. REALLY COOL!! Next I turned
> forward/reverse switch to reverse and tried it again. It worked just like
> was supposed to. I am exstatic.
> I then tried all of the safety's. The drive motor turned off when either
> seat switch or the brake switch was pushed. The drive motor did not
> when either safety switch was reset, even though I was holding the
> down, just like it was supposed to. I lifted the throttle and reapplied
> and the motor started turning again right on cue.
> I can hardly believe that it all worked right the first time. I was
> to have to adjust the micro switch or the potentiometer for the
> wires that were crossed. After a couple of minutes of running I did get a
> smell. I checked to see if anything was hot but didn't fell anything. I
> hoping that it was only because the motor hadn't run in about four years.
> ran it several more times and it seemed to work fine still.
> I plan on going out and buying a set of batteries tomorrow and continuing
> testing. I still haven't put it under a driving load or used the PTO
> load. Or both turning on and off at the same time. So I can't say that it
> going to work under everyday operation yet. But I am greatly encouraged
> this time. Hopefully I can get the new batteries installed and wired
> tomorrow and hook up my mower and give it a proper workout. I will update
> soon as I can. Kirk