(ET) More motor controller questions

Hello FOlks,

I have received a lot of good info about controllers and where to find them
relatively
inexspensive rebuilds.  Golftech, and others.

I have 2 questions

1) When a controller is purchased that is supposed to handle say 48 Volts
at
300 amps
what happens when the demand is greater than that?   Is this current
limited
by the controller or does it burn out?  Also is there a bypass relay
internal to controllers that "short" the fet devices under full current ?

2)  Are controllers rated at particular duty cycle?  As in the above
controller... could it do 300 amps all day long
or is that a peak current for only a few seconds and it can run at say half
of that long term?

As I am writing this I look back to find more than 2 question marks...
Whoops sorry

Thank you for any help
on these "2" questions

Paulc
W1VLF
Cloudbounce Webpage  http://www.qsl.net/w1vlf/

1986 Vanagon Gas
1982 Vanagon Diesel  Turbo Diesel 1.9
GE Electrak E20 and E15  electric tractors
First place in local tractor pulls  at 1750 LBS
With Stock E-20 Electric tractor