Re: (ET) controller, today and tomorrow!

From:                   "Monty McGraw" <mmcgraw74 hotmail com>

> To charge the system I bought a Trace DR-1500 inverter charger which
> requires a 24v battery pack .... The Trace inverter can do 1500watts
> continuous ... As a charger ... 50A in bulk charge mode and has
> microprocessor algorithms to taper the
> charge ...
>
> I bought a small 1QD-70 amp controller (48v) to drive the mower deck at
> 36v ... I'm trying to avoid tapping the battery pack, so I don't
> end up with weaker batteries that get undercharged.  I think that by
> putting the two 24v strings back in parallel (when the tractor is off),
> that the stronger side will dump current into the weaker until they are
> better equalized.

This sounds like a super-deluxe upgrade!  You've done quite a job.

Charging the two 24v strings in parallel should work fine.  There are
plenty of 48 volt smart chargers available, but I don't know of any with
built in inverters -- a really useful feature.

I agree, not tapping the pack is a very good idea.  The problem then is
to find 12v and 18v power for the lift and lights.  I've run my lift from
12 volts and 24 volts; 12 volts is a little feeble, but tolerable (using
the doubled-over format for the mower, as you do with the blade, helps).
You might consider a small Curtis or other 13.8 volt DC:DC converter to
run the lights and lift, or even a small, separately charged U-1 size
deep cycle battery.

Mark Hanson runs his ET on 48 volts, and I think he runs the mower at
that voltage too.  It would probably be OK, but your approach is probably
the safer one.

Congratulations on your work!

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac