Re: (ET) Speed controller

> If you connected the field in parallel with the armature, you'd have
>     two
> competing effects that would turn your motor into a nearly constant speed
> motor.

Yes -- of course.  That makes complete sense.  The old PMC DCC-72/96C
shunt/compound controllers used constant field PWM up to something like
half pedal, then began reducing the duty cycle.

I retract my remark about Curtis's old instructions for shunt / compound
motors.  I should have checked the manual.  Here it is, verbatim from my
old PMC-25 manual:

"The PMC does not provide current for separately excited fields such as
those found in shunt and compound motors, and may be considered as being
specifically designed for series-wound motors.  However, the controller
may be used with shunt and compound motors if a separate source of field
current is provided.  For motors with shunt fields woiund for full
battery voltage, the shunt field may be connected across the entire
battery pack via a contactor.  In such installations, a "freewheeling
diode" should be installed across the field to prevent arcing across the
contactor as it opens.  For motors with fields wound for less than full
battery voltage, or in cases where field control is desired, either a
separate transisotr field controller is required, or the field may be
connected to various taps off of the main battery pack.

"When a series winding is not provided in the motor, such as in a pure
shunt motor, an inductor must be added in series with the armature in
order to provide the inductance would would normally be supplied by the
series winding.  High current inductors (part number IND-100) are
available from youir PMC dealer."

I stand (humbly) corrected.

As has been pointed out here, Curtis does make sep-ex controllers.  So
does Zapi, an Italian manufacturer.  There is also a sep-ex controller
made for Yamaha golf cars, but I don't know if it's adapable to the ET.
Sorry to say I have no experience with any of these.  If you do, please
share it!

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc