(ET) RE: Follow-up story

Hi the story by Darryl (darrylmcmahon igs net, elec-trak) reminds me of my
own E12S story.   About nine years ago (its been so long I can't remember
exactly I saw an ad in the paper selling an electric tractor.  Being an
electrical engineer and interested in everything electric I inquired and
found it was a General Electric.  Not knowing anything about these units I
decided it couldn't be passed up.  The owners said the batteries had
frozen
one winter, but that it was working the last time they had used it.

After purchasing it I did not have time or health to even find out what I
needed to do to begin the restoration.  About three summers ago, however,
one
of my sons being interested in seeing the tractor operation motivated us
begin.  We soon discovered that the tractor had probably been outdoors a
long
time after the batteries had frozen.  The front wheels were rusted into
one
position, the control area behind the dash was filled with mouse nests and
smelled of urine.  There was a lot of rust in places and it was clear that
the electronic board was in very bad shape.

The first year we cleared the dust and debris, freed the front axles and
lubricated all the moving parts.  The next summer we attacked the rust and
brought the electronics control board and forward/reverse control system
in
for the winter.  Corrosion had taken its toll on the control board. We
carefully cleaned the board - one of the unijunction transistors' lead had
corroded into two pieces.  Radio Shack had a replacement.   The terminals
were unable to grip their positions any longer, but I decided that they
could
be soldered in place after the board was reinstalled.  The speed control
was
completely disassembled and one of the microswiches replaced.  These
switches
seem to be fairly common - I had several in a can of cannibalized
switches.

Finally this past summer, with the major obstacles out of the way we began
removing rust and repainting.  At the same time I decided to check the web
and see if there was any information on the Elec-trac line - and low and
behold:

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/kb13/misc.htm#electric had links to Walt's
Electric Tractor Page for ELEC-TRAK pictures, specifications and
accessories,
Technical Service & Parts (608) 868-6220 for parts and documentation and
Kansas Windpower (913) 364-4407 for some parts.  This web page also
resulted
in finding:

http://web.starlinx.com/dwfh/
http://www.igs.net/~darrylmcmahon/e10e15.jpg

I was elated to say the least.  We ordered a service manual to complete
the
rebuild.  We wanted to check out all the wiring and parts before making
the
investment in the batteries.  The week went by this summer and the front
lift
motor seemed fine.  The charger was removed and checked out as well.  The
wiring all seemed to be in order.  We ordered new Trojan batteries which
were
promptly delivered.  We installed the batteries as well as purchasing
cables
and clamps to connect the batteries.  The moment of truth arrived when we
were ready to energize the main disconnect and see if anything smoked - -
-
it ran fine! . . . except in reverse - this was soon to be discovered to
be a
seed the mice had brought in still wedged under one of the reversing relay
contacts and probable wedged when we had used an air compressor to blow
out
the Hunta viruses ;-)

We have since found a couple of good things.  Wal-Mart sells an equipment
yellow in a spray can that is a very near match to the original paint.  As
well at Wal-Mart, for all of you snow blade owners, there is a red
tie-down
strap that is easily doubled over and sown at one end which makes a great
lifting strap.  We have modified our blade to lift from the mower lift
position by welding a lift point on to a nut which threads over the main
blade rotation bolt.  The blades lowers with more control and lifts with
more
leverage.

We have pictures being scanned that I will send out when I receive them
back.

We can't wait for the snow this year.

Larry Elliott
Moscow Idaho