Re: (ET) RE: Battery Testers

Good comments here about using a cycle tester.  But I partially disagree
with this statement:

> Using these weaker batteries is inefficient because you
> are still charging them for 8 hours or so as you always have, but they
> are
> only capable of producing for 50 minutes instead of 105 minutes.

The reason I partially disagree is that you ~shouldn't~ charge them the
same as you always have.  If you are charging them the same amount as
when they were new, you are overcharging them.  Note that, according to
the manual, your ET's charger timer is supposed to be set to charge
longer when the batteries are new.

Even a sulfated battery with reduced capacity will still not accept more
than 110-115% of the amp-hours withdrawn.

However, many automatic chargers don't recognize that the battery is
fully charged at a lower voltage, and keep trying to bring it up to its
old fully-charged voltage.  All this does is waste energy and further
shorten the poor battery's life by overcharging it.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
1974 Honda Civic 96vdc