Re: (ET) newbie

harry boswell which net wrote:

> Hello Jeff,
>
> Yes I also wish to convert my hydrostatic Ariens GT17 to electric and am
> hoping that I can use a constant speed from the motor and therefor avoid
> controller.
>
> Will be interested to see or hear what replies you obtain.
>
> Keep in touch,
>
> Harry, ( Cambridge, England.)
>
> Jeff Tickner wrote:
>
> > I have a Craftsman lawn tractor I want to convert to electric. It has a
> > hydrostatic transaxle so do I need a controller? Any sources for
> > inexpensive DC motors, maybe used? It was a 15HP, used with a mowing
> > deck
> > and snowblower, what size motor is reccomended?
> > Thanks!!

Hi guys

Here's wishing you good luck. Go for it.

I cant answer your controller question directly. I think it will depend
on the motor. Make sure you have a big-amp shut off switch handy. A
series wound motor with no load will build up speed until it pulls
itself apart. A permanent magnet motor may be a better choice. Max's
point about the resistive control is a good one. It may get you started
until you decide if you need it or not.

I started with a conversion on a small Toro. The biggest problem I had
was battery placement. With no controller (it was on order) and batts
tied all over, it stood up on its hind legs and tried to throw me off.
Scared me so bad even with the controller installed, I redesigned and
rebuilt it from the ground up. Batts low and centered, Curtis control
that allows me to inch up and tap you on the leg, or stomp on it and
take off hard, top speed about 12 mph, direct drive, all speed control
is at the accelerator pedal. 3 HP series wound motor that has pulled a
minivan, the wheel-standing Toro was a 1.5 HP series wound. The
controller was expensive, but well worth every dime.

Good luck, let us know how it works.

Dan