RE: (ET) New

John wrote;

<snips>

;told me the service was free. Now I am in the service business and  know
;how much service and support cost and explained that no one offers tech
;support for free on a thirty year old piece of equipment but he said
;that a lot of the owners are original and many are elderly on a fixed
;income and most calls don't require a lot of time anyway.

<snips>

I too have dealt with Technical Service.  I also have rebuilt a number of
50 year old
tractors & dozers.  It is amazing how much FREE support is available of
old equipment
by people who respect that equipment.  I have been literally given an
out-of-print
manual for a Massey-Harris once, that I would have gladly paid $50 for,
and was
not permitted to even leave a tip for-- and I know the service man who
gave it to me
had paid to get it!  Similarly, I have talked to mechanics that have
worked on GE's,
and never been turned down to talk about 'how-to'.

Larry Elie