(ET) Run it 'til the wheels fall off

We all like our ETs and probably say to our friends that we'll run 'em
'til the wheels fall off.

Well, tonight it happened.  For real.

I was plowing the driveway.  I got to the end, turned around in the road,
headed back up the driveway to clear some more and -- ker-plunk.  The
right front plopped down into the snow.

Turns out the right front axle bolt had worked itself loose.  It probably
fell out when I rammed a batch of snow into the snowbank across the road.
When I turned the tractor, the wheel slid off its axle.

Of course I don't have another bolt like that in my hardware box, so I
jacked the ET up, shoved the wheel on, and limped it up the driveway at
low speed in low-low, walking beside it kicking the wheel back on every
foot or two.

Tomorrow I'll see whether the hardware store can supply a bolt, thrust
washer, and shim.

                David Roden          THE VIRTUAL PD
     Services for radio broadcasters targeting educated adults
 Programming   Air talent development   Research   Classical music