Re: (ET) Snow!

Date sent:              Sat, 09 Jan 1999 15:35:15 -0500
From:                   Walter & Diane <dwfh starlinx com>
To:                     elec-trak cosmos5 phy tufts edu
Subject:                Re: (ET) Snow!

> Had my E20 with front end loader out last night and tried to push snow,
> seems I need chains. I have wheel weights (75 LBS each) but with the
> small
> hill I am on and the added loader weight in front I need more. Well maybe
> next storm! Walt

I found the same thing with my E-15.  My driveway slopes a fair bit, and
I could only handle the level part at the top without getting stuck.  Had
to shovel the rest.  I was using the weight box with 2 GC batteries and a
bunch of little dead UPS batteries in it (lead weights!).  Now I have
chains, so we'll see how it goes.

The wheel weights sound like they'd be better than the weight box, and
they don't make the tractor longer (a problem where I park it).  But wow,
75 pounds each!  Takes more muscles than I have to hold them with your
left hand while you start the bolts with your right hand.

My snowblower did not work well at all.  It clogged with just moderately
wet snow after every 10 feet or so.  I guess I will have to clean the
rust out and at least repaint the inside of the discharge chute if not
the entire machine.  I have had better luck using the blade to push snow
around.  Some people have told me their blowers have enormous power,
others that they are as feeble as mine (blew the snow maybe 3 feet).  I
wonder what changes Brinly (I think that's who made them) made in the
later models.

                David Roden          THE VIRTUAL PD
     Services for radio broadcasters targeting educated adults
 Programming   Air talent development   Research   Classical music