Re: Current sensing, etc

> >You buy a high current shunt.  The EV parts dealers (Electro
> >Automotive,
> >KTA Services, and so on) sell them, and you might be able to find them
> >at
> >a local industrial vehicle shop.
>
> Military surplus is much cheaper when available, check Fair Radio
> http://alpha.wcoil.com/~fairadio/ or Burdens 1-800-488-3407 from time to
> time.

Excellent suggestion.  I bought a 300a shunt at a surplus dealer 10 years
ago for $3, about 10% of new price.  No accuracy guarantee, but that
wasn't a big deal.

> >This is one of the older model snow throwers.  Maybe I'm expecting too
> >much of a single stage snow thrower (though it looks pretty potent).
> >Or
> >maybe not.  Anybody have any idea what I might be doing wrong here?
>
> Low temp have devastating effects on lead batteries. You might want to
> check
> the voltage under load to see if holds above 11V per battery with the
> snow
> thrower and tractor on especially if batteries are old.

I hadn't thought of this.  I didn't notice any other low battery
symptoms, but I also wasn't watching the voltmeter (I admit I often don't
on the ET).  I will notice this next time.  It shouldn't be a problem
because the batteries have only a dozen or two cycles on them, but ya
never know.

Thanks for the note!

                David Roden          THE VIRTUAL PD
     Services for radio broadcasters targeting educated adults
 Programming   Air talent development   Research   Classical music