RE: Battery Chargers, Pulse Units

Christopher Meier <Christopher Meier cwix com> wrote:

>  was under the impression that the pulse chargers use a much
> higher freqency than 120hz, and that the frequency isn't fixed,
> it varies.  I don't have the knowledge to know if that makes
> any difference.

Hmm, I thought it was *lower*.  I don't know *why* I thought that,
though.  You are probably right.  In any case, they do claim to have a
more controlled effect.  And as I say, anecdotally, they seem to have
an effect in certain circumstances.

One thing I thought of.  The pulsers are supposed to help sulfated
batteries recover capacity.  I can see how they might have an effect on
the crystalline lead sulfate that remains on the plates, but at least part
of the capacity loss in old batteries happens because that sulfate
*doesn't* stay on the plates.  It flakes off and falls to the bottom of
the
cell.  So the plates *permanently* lose active material, and if the layer
of lead sulfate gets high enough, it can partially short out the plates.

A pulse unit *may* be able to reconvert sulfate that remains on the
plates (though I don't quite understand how), but there is no way for a
pulse unit, or anything else I know of, to restore the lost active
material.

You can alleviate the shorting by draining the battery, rinsing it, and
refilling with fresh electrolyte (though disposing of the old electrolyte
and rinse water is a concern -- it's toxic waste).  This by itself can
sometimes restore significant capacity to an old battery.

I'd be curious to learn whether a pulser can accomplish as much as
this inexpensive but messy procedure, and how long the pulser's
effects last.  Maybe both methods in combination would be useful.

     David Roden          THE VIRTUAL PD
     Services for radio broadcasters targeting educated adults
 Programming   Air talent development   Research   Classical music