From: Church of the Advent <office theadventboston org>
Date: Fri, Jul 8, 2022, 11:02 AM
Subject: July 8, 2022 Update from the Church of the Advent
To: <edfutcher gmail com>

<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001cKeMms98EVr8Z7a5Ec-5BL3zPMwbAsgG3xFPSNLFlze8MlQ-IrrdQRI29fEHU86-14uis8x_S4FG-WBwjJ24OK7tngW-diCk7VAhXiXcmgd3q84cqYbiGJ7yjYRIkHbXs9E01j1Fc7nRIc1IFWtGa_ZW7pIFzol49FNMrlgOC_5zCJBRcMTn2e4MTZOc3SoKp4B1h29gad756paPWDqy3qR9ByFAQDg0s1WeuNxiWQ3bemFEh-AHudejVBVNpYpF4R4I2v4tN68OKc32AnBtzb18a_taxRjR7OY1sTDqG2aEhnA5UcuUEw==&c=ZtcLBY94MigFgg7O-HS6LThGtTo4073785G66US7cZWPhO-Uq7CrZQ==&ch=ncsVo5u_KCQBMtVWjIOkAOttrICxqri5AcPf_-nFSiUykqiCa-ZPyA==>
Worship
Sunday, July 10: The Fifth Sunday after Pentecost

Preacher: Fr Macdonald-Radcliff

Music:
Prelude: Rhosymedre (from Three Preludes on Welsh Hymns) — Ralph Vaughan
Williams (1872-1958)
Postlude: Paean — Philip Moore (b 1943)

11:00am:
Ordinary of the Mass: Missa Sancta Maria Magdalena — Healey Willan
(1880–1968)
Offertory Anthem: Karitas habundat in omnia — Hildegard von Bingen (c
1098-1179)
Communion Motet: Auch mit gedämpften, schwachen Stimmen — Johann Sebastian
Bach (1685-1750)
Last Week

Attendance last Sunday was 110 (12+30+68).

Sermon by Fr James
<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001cKeMms98EVr8Z7a5Ec-5BL3zPMwbAsgG3xFPSNLFlze8MlQ-IrrdQRI29fEHU86-XEnpVgEEoJ1X6uXLkEb9nc29ocUSLoYMxx8iz6QL45MrYp9Jva0LawOi6A6jhxVz2i9aVCZM_eNPMHda3JapuuschvjdHaqSa9loJshnXZz2XG_BqCDk3iA_U3caYdVPvzvtoKsTz0iQKhZ0R_gBHoewdo4X9SeI&c=ZtcLBY94MigFgg7O-HS6LThGtTo4073785G66US7cZWPhO-Uq7CrZQ==&ch=ncsVo5u_KCQBMtVWjIOkAOttrICxqri5AcPf_-nFSiUykqiCa-ZPyA==>
(audio)
From the Music Department

Our Summer Choir is on break for the month of July. During July we will
have congregational mass settings and arias by soloists. The Summer Choir
returns on the first Sunday in August.

The Sunday Mass webcasts on SoundCloud are suspended until the beginning of
September. Sermons will continue to be posted weekly.
Reminder: New Service Schedule
Our weekly schedule of services is now as follows:

Sunday
7:30am: Morning Prayer – Lady Chapel
8:00am: Low Mass – Lady Chapel
9:00am: Sung Mass – High Altar
11:00 am: Solemn Mass – High Altar
(Evensong and Benediction 5:00 pm as announced, beginning in October)

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday
8:00am: Morning Prayer – Lady Chapel
12:15pm: Low Mass – Lady Chapel
5:30pm: Evening Prayer – Lady Chapel

Wednesday
8:00am: Morning Prayer – Lady Chapel
5:30pm: Evening Prayer – Lady Chapel
6:00pm: Low Mass with Healing – Lady Chapel

Saturday
8:30am: Morning Prayer – Lady Chapel
9:00am: Low Mass – Lady Chapel
Coffee Hours
[image: coffee_table.jpg]
This Sunday's hosts are Cassie & Jack Gurnon at 9am and Meg Mill at 11am.
Next week the hosts are Debbie Smith at 9am and Maggie & Nick Westberg at
11am.

Coffee hour is a service to one another, as well as a welcome to newcomers.
It would be helpful if each parish family hosted once a quarter, spending
between $30-$50 providing simple snacks. Ideally we should have 2-3 hosts
per coffee hour. A summer schedule is posted in Moseley Hall. There are
still openings each week. You may also sign up here
<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001cKeMms98EVr8Z7a5Ec-5BL3zPMwbAsgG3xFPSNLFlze8MlQ-IrrdQQhgOUoWD2L_Xvs_K041mJRSI_dgqGfIldTygmcZOMDaBJ1OlT8afHw9XQKD4uAq0meL5xRLCvdFfMHtd7SscD72lCqBK_JVmrVBI-sRzBJIKWA8a-mrm9mfoLFJQ1s5_A==&c=ZtcLBY94MigFgg7O-HS6LThGtTo4073785G66US7cZWPhO-Uq7CrZQ==&ch=ncsVo5u_KCQBMtVWjIOkAOttrICxqri5AcPf_-nFSiUykqiCa-ZPyA==>
.
Sunday Morning Childcare
PROFESSIONAL CHILDCARE is provided in Moseley Hall during the 9am and 11am
Masses.

Parents at the 11am Mass are kindly requested to keep their children with
them in church after Communion, so that the nursery area can be cleared
before Coffee Hour begins.
Entr’acte Summer Sessions
Entr’acte means literally “between the acts”, and in our context the time
between the two sung liturgies on Sundays of the 9:00am and 11am Masses.
But the term also covers an actual further event, beyond a mere
intermission, and it is in that spirit that we have a tradition here of
presenting an element of our educational ministry between the two services,
which this year we shall be offering throughout the Summer season, starting
with a short series in July on notable figures in Anglo-Catholicism and the
Anglo-Catholic movement.

Our Entracteurs will be Fr. Alistair Macdonald-Radcliff, who will speak on
17 July about King Charles I’s Archbishop of Canterbury, William Laud
(1573-1645), and on 31 July about the noted theologian, liturgist, and
Bishop
of Durham, John Cosin (1594-1672).  In between, on 24 July, Mr. Nicholas
Westberg will speak on Ralph Cudworth (1617-1688), Anglican clergyman and a
leading representative of the so-called “Cambridge Platonists.” Fr. David
Thompson will then follow, giving four presentations through the month of
August on The Psalms.
Tuesday Community Supper Volunteers
Please consider serving at the Tuesday Night Supper one Tuesday a month.
Volunteers are asked to commit to coming at 5:00pm and staying until
6:45pm. We need a dishwasher who will run the commercial machine; training
will be provided. Please contact Karen Harrington at
kharrington theadventboston org with your availability.
Wednesday Morning Bible Study – Summer Break
The Wednesday morning Bible Study with Fr Adams is in recess for the months
of July and August. It will resume in September.
Church League Softball
[image: baseball-glove.jpg]
The next game is tomorrow, Saturday, July 9, at 11am at Clemente Field, 100
Park Drive, Boston. Please contact Andrew Huss (huss andrew protonmail com)
about playing on the team.
Women of the Advent
ALL WOMEN OF THE PARISH are invited to a potluck picnic on Boston Common,
on Saturday, July 30 at 1 pm. If you are interested in attending, please
email Maggie Westberg at westberg ma gmail com. We hope to see you there!
Aid for Ukrainian Refugees
Episcopal Relief and Development (ERD), the humanitarian arm of the
Episcopal Church, is working with international Anglican agencies and other
partners to provide assistance to people fleeing the violence in Ukraine.
You can donate to ERD's Ukraine Crisis Response Fund here
<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001cKeMms98EVr8Z7a5Ec-5BL3zPMwbAsgG3xFPSNLFlze8MlQ-IrrdQaJqApwcoY5t62gWOEiJyKvp2UH-qaGHCsmTNio8vma5rhKkSGEdsAPdX3FPb4eE7MFzLkNkty5yZe9YliEn-sab548sUj3IW1v86Po7FAzs00mPgNgPkvBwzS5rlRTuZYIiwAu_4pxS-6MsO1IAekqOPDjnCoVNEogYd_XB9GST5AGugNVns2dIJHHiSiojmYJHHjMVJ3hwMxCoE9JLMz6jkwXC585kdiKxjemMW5516GXzICJswznnizcooJHm1DWpJ3NuIVIs&c=ZtcLBY94MigFgg7O-HS6LThGtTo4073785G66US7cZWPhO-Uq7CrZQ==&ch=ncsVo5u_KCQBMtVWjIOkAOttrICxqri5AcPf_-nFSiUykqiCa-ZPyA==>
.

Fr Alistair Macdonald-Radcliff has written an analysis of the
Russia-Ukraine conflict and its strategic and moral implications for the
West for the UK's Church Times. Copies of his article are available at the
back of the church, or you can read it here
<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001cKeMms98EVr8Z7a5Ec-5BL3zPMwbAsgG3xFPSNLFlze8MlQ-IrrdQaJqApwcoY5tH-dT5q8coD5BBOHvyYfax2BhhAUYhTen1r6FxziLRpjT52KKwaCqaOR5L_qr9bjV5OAFDASy700vdyRpR4GkFzp1DH_XiQLfyVgXaEPjqIEDXk3nuOnH-NY-ng1eo3j6gSYrnbrnSW1QOFzh69oQVUOupyQywUNL0She-izUwLM7f0Vpr0Zf9U_shhPCpZ8m&c=ZtcLBY94MigFgg7O-HS6LThGtTo4073785G66US7cZWPhO-Uq7CrZQ==&ch=ncsVo5u_KCQBMtVWjIOkAOttrICxqri5AcPf_-nFSiUykqiCa-ZPyA==>
.
Flower Memorials
FLOWERS that adorn the Church are funded entirely by donations from members
and friends of the Parish. There are openings for flower memorials through
July. If you are interested, please contact the parish administrator (
office theadventboston org).
Sidney Choir Tour
The Choir of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge, UK, will be touring the USA
from 5 July to 17 July, with two concerts in the Boston area:
Friday, 15 July, 7:30pm at Christ Church, Cambridge
Saturday, 16 July, 7:30pm at All Saints' Church, Brookline.
All concerts will have free admission (with a retiring collection).