Re: Ringing robots

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 6:18 AM Ed Futcher via Boston-change-ringers
<boston-change-ringers cosmos phy tufts edu> wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XbW8z3lqW8

They look more like the real people I’m used to ringing with than do
those Men In Black (with brown shoes) in Handbell Stadium!

I’m intrigued by how well the robots make the bells strike: just
waving a bell up and down typically isn’t good enough, you need to
have a firm end so the inertia of the clapper overcomes the resistance
of the spring. I wonder if they’ve got the mechanical action doing
that? Or if, perhaps, instead they’ve made the springs really loose: I
could see that being possible with an extremely regular, mechanical
thingie, where it would make a mess of it for less predictable humans.

--
Don Morrison <dfm ringing org>
“Lisp doesn't look any deader than usual to me.”