minutes of the 2019 annual meeting of the MIT Guild of Bellringers

Hi all,

Below are the minutes of this year's annual meeting of the MIT guild, held during practice on Saturday June 15.

Those who were present, please let me know if I've missed an item.

- Margaret

----------------------------------
Opened meeting 11:25 am.

Attendees: Ricky, Joseph, Laura, Josh, Alice, Michael, Bryn, Margaret, Danielle, John B, Ed, Austin, Kat, Kat's friend Alice, Cally, Elaine, Dorcas

- Reading of 2018 minutes

- Officer reports:
 *Ringing master: it's been great, we've had a few new ringers
 *Steeplekeeper: no major issues, ropes still in good condition but maybe
   a good idea to start a rope budget with church, older ropes disposed
   of, floors waxed thanks to Laura. Discussion as to how many ropes to
   budget for per year.
 *Handbell keeper: going well, rerecognized by MIT ASA
 *Secretary: everything is fine
 *Deputy Treasurer: $200 and receipts are in the tower cash box (student
   treasurer not present)
 *Church liaison: benches and window shade have been great; church is
   generally responsive to our concerns

- New business
 *Officer elections:
   President: Conner Kummerlowe (MIT student)
   Treasurer: Isha Mehrotra (MIT student)
   Deputy treasurer: Laura Dickerson
   Ringing master: John Bihn
   Steeplekeeper: Ricky Morse
   Assistant steeplekeeper: Jeff Del Papa
   Secretary: Margaret Pan
   Church liaison: Dale Winter
   Handbell keeper: Bryn Reinstadler

 *Finances:
   Ed proposed that we combine the MIT and Advent guilds under an
   umbrella "Boston Ringing Society". We would put Old North and
   Advent funds into a single bank account since it is very difficult
   to open new accounts these days. The existing Advent Guild of
   Bellringers account is a 503(b) or 503(c) (Bryn will check which)
   tax-exempt organization account (not affiliated in any way with the
   Church of the Advent). A single person would act as treasurer and
   contact person for wedding fees for Advent and Old North. This was
   approved by vote.

   Further details discussed:
   We would also institute common monetary practices between the two
   towers (dues, rope fees for peals). There would be no membership
   dues for either the MIT or Advent guilds. There would be no
   visiting fees, but if asked for a suggestion we would quote a number
   per band per tower (none for individuals). There would be rope fees for
   performances outside service times; performances during service
   ringing times would not carry fees. The exact numbers will be
   discussed over email. Costs for maintenance of handbells would come
   from MIT (either a Council of the Arts grant, or student activity
   funds).

 *AGM preparations:
   Make sure steeplekeeping is in order
   There will only be Old North ringing during the usual practice time.

 *IAP ringing course:
   In order to recruit more MIT students, Cally would like to have an
   intensive intro ringing course in January 2020. Details would be
   discussed at a separate meeting in September.

 *Discussion of handling teaching:
   Austin proposed that we host an ART course. Ringers would not be
   required to teach using ART methods, but it would help to standardize
   our handling teaching.

- Action items:

 *Create yearly rope budget with recommendations on how many ropes to buy
   per year (Ricky will do this)

 *Thank you note to church for benches and window shade (Bryn will do
   this)

 *Email reminder to check if bathroom is clean (Ricky will do this); we
   will check how this is going in 6 months

 *Please fill out the attendance spreadsheet to the extent you can ahead
   of time. Even "maybe" or "will decide morning of" is helpful. (everyone
   will do this)

 *Organize steeplekeeping learning day

 *Look into tax-exempt charity status associated with 503(c) and what IRS
   annual reporting is required for that (Ed will provide instructions for
   requirements)

 *We will hold the Advent guild annual meeting in September rather than
   November this year, in order to facilitate officer transitions.

 *Email discussion of the exact costs for peal fees and visitor fees (to
   be initiated by Margaret).

 *Email discussion of things to spend our money on (to be initiated by
   Bryn)

 *Get tax ID number via discussion with Greg, Mel, Dale (Bryn will do
   this)

 *Get exact name and tax exempt status code on the current Advent guild
   bank account (Bryn will do this)

 *Set up separate interest meeting in September to organize intensive IAP
  course involving Bryn, Cally, Dale, church officials, and any other
  interested people.

Meeting was adjourned at 12:55 am.