Fwd: This week @ Old North: Bravery. Action. Liberty.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: The Old North Church <education oldnorth com>
Date: Wed, May 22, 2019 at 1:10 PM
Subject: This week @ Old North: Bravery. Action. Liberty.
To: <edfutcher gmail com>

Join us between now and May 29 for three special events exploring the power of collective action and the ways we can exemplify courage, humility, and modern patriotsim.

First up, is the opening of our first ever photo exhibition "Rally Point: Bravery + Action" in the Patriots Corner gallery on Thursday, May 23.

And on May 29 you have two chances to engage: visit at noon for a mid-day music break with one of our Songs of Liberty performances, and then at 6pm we'll host our third Speaker Series event "The Child Independence is Born" with a lecture from James Farrell.

Photography Exhibit Opening Reception

Thursday May 29, 2019 | 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm

Featuring photos by: Todd Bradley, Matt Conti, Maggie Loh, Leah Ramuglia, Austin Shoares, Ellen Shuh, and Steven White

Presented in partnership with the Photographic Resource Center, the exhibit explores how teamwork, collective action, and fellowship can promote active citizenship through imagery. The reception is free and open to the public.

"Rally Point" will be on display in Patriots Corner through July 15, 2019 and regular entry to this poignant exhibit is included with any ticket of admission to Old North Church + Historic Site.

Speaker Series Event

Wednesday, May 29 | 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm

Featuring James Farrell, Professor of Rhetoric, University of New Hampshire
Presented in Partnership with Ford Hall Forum at Suffolk University

Many years after the American Revolution, John Adams reflected on the 1761 speech by James Otis against writs of assistance. "Otis demonstrated the illegality, the unconstitutionality, the iniquity and inhumanity of that writ in so clear a manner, that every man appeared to me to go away ready to take up arms against it," Adams wrote. "Then and there," he said, "the child Independence was born." This presentation will offer a reexamination of the writs of assistance speech by James Otis, testing Adams's claim about its importance. Did the Revolution begin with the writs of assistance trial? To answer that question, we will review the purpose and function of writs of assistance within the political, legal, and economic environment of colonial Massachusetts, and discuss the constitutional dispute over writs of assistance in the 1761 trial. With a more complete understanding of Otis's speech, what can we conclude about his influence on colonial opposition to British rule, and about his impact on American legal development in the areas of constitutional protection against unreasonable search, and with regard to the practice of judicial review of legislative action?

Afterward, join us for a reception and Community Conversation with the speaker and Assistant Clinical Professor of Law Christina A. Miller (Suffolk University)for an intimate discussion about the parallels between the writs of assistance and the parameters of search and seizure law as it is developing in the modern world.

Songs of Liberty Featuring Landmark High School Choir

Wednesday, May 29 | 12:00 pm - 12:45 pm
Included with the price of admission | Boston residents free

"There is probably no time in our country's existence, other than potentially its founding and its preservation during the Civil War, where our recognition and appreciation of the liberties that make our country both special and unique is so crucial to the preservation of these liberties. In a period of history where these very liberties that make us free are under attack from so many foes, both foreign and domestic, we must be willing to express why these liberties are both essential and non-negotiable." – Michael Seil, Director, Legacy High School Choir