Re: Pondering AEDs

Hello all: new email address, but same Scott Colby!

I have been trained as a lifeguard for many years now, which has caused me
to undergo several CPR/AED trainings. As Laura notes, modern AEDs are
extremely easy to use and almost impossible to use incorrectly in a way
that will hurt the responder or the victim as long as the instructions,
which are provided verbally by the machine, are followed. However, if the
first time you ever open an AED is  to use it "for real," you will have a
more difficult time than if you had been trained and, in the case of a
cardiac emergency, time is critical.

I do not know if there are AED trainings without CPR training these days.
The trend over the last decade seems to have been to reduce the number of
distinct trainings and to only train people to the higher levels--I have
been told anecdotally by trainers that the older "easier" methods of CPR,
etc. never turned out to be very effective. If Old North ends up
purchasing/obtaining an AED, I would hope that a large enough subset of
their employees and volunteers get trained in order that at least one
trained member of staff is present at all times during public hours, but
of course this is an even bigger ask than just getting the device.

As for getting the ringers trained, the CPR/AED classes I have attended
have usually been a few hours in an evening. They are often bundled with a
First Aid certification as well. In my area, the trainings ran in the
$75-$100 range per person, which is a bit of a commitment. If the church
were to do a group training, it might be possible to get a better rate by
joining in with them. MIT might also have some opportunities for training.

If the church were to obtain an AED, and in the absence of other
considerations, an organization like ours ought to get a couple (2-3)
people who are regularly at practice trained. Perhaps the ringing master
and tower captain could be asked to obtain the certification as part of
their role in the tower. (And could have their training costs reimbursed?
In a longer-term change of policy, this could be added to the
constitutional definition of the role and maybe MIT would get on board
with funding it.)

Of course this is easy for me to say since it's not my money or time that
I'm advocating to spend, but I think pushing for an AED and training at
Old North is a worthwhile endeavor. Although the likelihood of needing it
is pretty low, when the day comes that you do need it, it'll be worth all
the effort.

I hope all is well.

Scott