Update on the New Ring of 12 Bells for Trinity Church, New York City

From: "Tim Barnes" <tjbarnes optonline net>
Date: September 11, 2006 10:19:53 PM EDT
To: nag-talk yahoogroups com
Subject: [nag-talk] Update on the New Ring of 12 Bells for Trinity Church, New York City

Many of you will have seen the article in the Ringing World of July
7th 2006 announcing plans for the installation of a new ring of 12
at Trinity Church, Wall Street, New York City. Work and planning
has been continuing apace in recent weeks, and we are now able to
provide the following update.

The new ring of 12 has a Tenor weight of 23cwt 3qrs 17lbs in D, and
is the result of a very generous gift by Dr Martin C Faulkes of the
Dill Faulkes Educational Trust. The existing chime bells will be
reinstalled above the new change-ringing bells. They are a diatonic
~25cwt octave in D with an extra treble and a flat 2nd. In
addition, an 11th chiming bell, a sharp 5th, is being cast and added
as the result of a separate gift to Trinity.

The new 12 change ringing bells were cast by Taylors, Eayre & Smith
at Loughborough, England, during August and September. The frame and
fittings were completed and dispatched for shipping on Friday
September 8th, and are scheduled for delivery at Trinity Church
during week commencing October 2nd. The chime bells have been
removed from the tower, and sent to McShane's in Baltimore for
renovation and to be fitted with new chime gear.

We hope that with its prominent location, Trinity Church will
attract visiting ringers from North America and around the world.
To that end, arrangements are being made to ensure the bells are
readily available to capable ringers and bands wishing to visit,
including those wishing to attempt peals. Trinity is surrounded on
all four sides by tall buildings, both office and residential, and
effective sound control is therefore essential for enabling extended
ringing. The gift by the Dill Faulkes Educational Trust includes a
comprehensive sound control system that will be operated using
electric motors, and Trinity Church has engaged a New York firm of
acoustical engineers to advise on sound levels and acoustics, and to
take measurements to verify the effectiveness of the sound control.

A dedication service is to be held on Sunday October 8th 2006 at
11:15am after which the frame and bells will be hoisted and
installed during the next three weeks. Members of the NAGCR, as well
as other visiting ringers, are warmly invited to attend this
service, and we hope to offer ringing on Saturday October 7th at
Brewster, NY and/or Kent, CT. More details to follow on this.

The bells are due to be tested and commissioned by an expert 12 bell
band invited by the donor during the weekend of October 28th and
29th. A commissioning peal is planned for Saturday October 28th,
starting at 1.00pm, with a reserve attempt on Sunday October 29th,
starting at 12.30pm. Whilst ringers everywhere are very welcome to
come and listen to the peal ringing, we cannot offer general ringing
during this weekend.

Regular service ringing will commence on Sunday November 4th. We
will be ringing after the second service, starting at 12.30pm.
Practice night will be Wednesday from 6.30 – 8.30pm, commencing Nov
8th, and, in due course, we hope to establish a dedicated beginners'
practice on Tuesdays from 6.30 – 8.30pm.

We plan to hold the first general ringing over the weekend of New
Year's Eve. The intention is to combine a planned visit by a peal
band from Birmingham, England, with three days of general ringing by
members of the NAGCR and other visitors. This will mean there will
be plenty of experienced 12-bell ringers present during this weekend
to add their expertise to the ringing. Plans are at an early stage,
but we hope to start the event on the evening of Friday December
29th, and finish on the afternoon of Monday January 1st. Further
details to follow. Because this event is dependent on the effective
operation of the sound control, please do not make any non-
refundable travel arrangements until the event is confirmed. We
will also be looking into accommodation options for visiting
ringers, recognizing the cost of hotels in NYC at that time of year.

A very important part of the ringing program at Trinity will be the
establishment of training programs for new ringers, and also for
more experienced ringers wishing to develop their 12-bell ringing
skills. As well as having a simulator attached to the 12 bells,
there will be a dumb-bell and simulator in the parish hall for
training purposes. In addition, video facilities are being
installed to enable beginners to see the relationship between rope
movements and bell movements, and to help correct handling faults.

Trinity Church has its own media department and operates an
extensive web-site. This includes the web-casting of certain
Trinity services. Both the dedication service and the initial peal
attempts will be web-cast on the church's web-site at
www.trinitywallstreet.org . Over time we expect the bells and
ringers to feature regularly as part of the Sunday Service web-casts.

The New York Times has been granted an "exclusive" on the
installation of the new ring, and has been conducting interviews
with various members of the church and other involved parties in
preparation for a forthcoming article. While we don't know the
exact date, we believe this will be published imminently. As is
usual in these matters, we have had no editorial control over the
content of the article, nor are we able to preview the article prior
to publication, so all we can do is hope they produce a suitable
portrayal of the project!

Trinity Church is located at the intersection of Wall Street and
Broadway, with the tower facing East along Wall St. There will be
views from the ringing chamber on three sides out of the existing
clock-windows. Air-conditioning and heating will make it a
comfortable place at any season of the year.

A working group comprising Trinity staff and some New York area
ringers is meeting regularly to develop plans for the ringing and
the training of a band. We will provide further updates as events
unfold over the coming weeks. If you have any immediate enquiries,
please e-mail bells@trinitywallstreet.org.

Tim Barnes (Ringing Master-elect)
Tony Furnivall (Tower Captain-elect)
September 11th, 2006