Re: Belfries in Northampton and around

Pui-Ying Iroh Tam wrote:

> Hi, I will be moving to Northampton next month and am trying to locate
> the ringing master for the belfry there. I tried emailing the contact
> <adurfee mhc mtholyoke edu> I found on this website, but haven't heard
> back. Are there any active belfries an hour's drive from Northampton
> (New Hampshire, Connecticut)? Can anyone help?

   There isn't currently a band at Smith.  Greg Russell (who may have
replied to you already; he subscribes to this list) was trying to get
things going again.
  In terms of other towers nearby (loosely speaking), Kent is 84 miles,
but some of that is on little roads, so it would take a couple of hours.

  Melrose School in Brewster, NY, is farther away (117 miles) but would
be a slightly faster drive.
   At an in-between distance (104 miles) are the two towers in Boston.
Fastest trip of your neighboring towers, and even better, there is
regular bus service (Peter Pan, I think).  Someone else could do the
driving and you could study methods all the way ;-)
   There is ringing at both towers (sequentially) on Sundays, practice
at Old North on Saturdays, Advent on Thursdays, and handbells on Monday
evenings.  We'd be happy to have you.
Laura Dickerson