Flying in instructors - vote requested

Hi all,

Please read the following and send your vote to me by 5pm Friday, if at all possible. Thanks!

Dianne and I have been discussing how to bring ringing instructors to Boston this Spring for some intensive practice weekends. We discussed this briefly last September at the Advent Guild meeting and Dianne asked for comments via email after the meeting, and I think the consensus was that it would be a good idea to use some of our funds to fly teachers here.

This spring, it works out that Michael Schulte will be able to visit and give us a significant amount of time over the weekend of March 18-19, coincidentally the same weekend Linda Woodford will be visiting and ringing (though her time with us is more limited). Dianne and I decided that, given the general attitude of the guild's members, we should fund Mike's plane ticket and offer to put him up, which requires $240 of Advent Guild funds. Our overall available funds are about $3000, and we expect more income before the end of the fiscal year (counting from 9/05 to 9/06) in the form of wedding fees.

Mike has also volunteered to come out for the weekend May 19-21 and teach/conduct some more for us. Right now, flights that weekend are relatively cheap ($250 Kalamazoo/Boston, which is not bad, speaking as one who makes this trip frequently myself). So...

** ITEM FOR VOTE **
Shall we spend another $250 to offer airfare in exchange for a second weekend of intensive instruction?

Please write me back saying either "Yes, go ahead" or "No, I don't think we should spend the funds." I'm asking for a vote by Friday at 5pm so that Mike can buy his ticket before prices go up, which may happen this weekend.

I suggest that we experiment with up to four flights-of-instructors in a year, and see how that goes just to make sure we don't spend too much. Since we didn't do this at all in the fall, I don't think two flights this spring is excessive. We bought ropes recently and so don't have many other major expenses of guild funds.

Thank you!
Britt Hartenberger

(617) 413-4143
bhartenb bu edu