String Duality Seminar, Thursday, March 28, 2013 @ 4:15pm

Thursday, March 28, 2013  4:15 PM
Harvard University
String Duality Seminar
"Playing with Holographic Lattices"
Jorge Santos
(UCSB)
Jefferson Lab, 453
Refreshments in the high energy theory coffee area, 4th floor Jefferson,
at 4:00.

Abstract:

"With the advent of gauge/gravity dualities, which relate the properties of a gravity theory in d dimensions with those of a d-1 dimensional strongly coupled quantum theory where gravity is absent, the understanding of novel gravitational phenomena in d > 4 and in asymptotically anti de-Sitter spacetimes became particularly relevant. Moreover, due to our poor understanding of generic strongly coupled field theories, gravity is often the only tool available. In many circumstances, these dualities map strongly coupled phenomena into classical problems, which in turn are governed by partial differential equations. In this talk I will show how novel computational techniques can be useful in trying to understand long standing problems, such as the properties of high temperature superconductors. The results are in striking agreement with measurements on some cuprates.''