String Duality Seminar, February 14, 2013 @ 4:15pm

Thursday, February 14, 2013  4:15 PM
Harvard University
String Duality Seminar
"Black Hole University, Outside and In"
Thomas Hartman
(IAS)
Jefferson Lab, 453
Refreshments in the high energy theory coffee area, 4th floor Jefferson,
at 4:00.

Abstract:
Black holes obey universal thermodynamic laws. This suggests a statistical formulation of spacetime that has yet to be understood. In the first part of the talk, I will describe how invariance under large coordinate transformations imposes strong constraints on any theory of quantum gravity. In many cases, these constraints explain the universal thermodynamics at event horizons. In the second part of the talk, I will go inside the event horizon, and discuss the holographic dual of black hole interiors. Here, large coordinate transformations lead to universal time-dependent behavior in the dual conformal field theory.