This week's CfA Theory Seminars

Joint Cosmology Seminar of Harvard/MIT/Tufts

Tue, Mar 2nd, 2:30pm

Masataka Fukugita (U. Tokyo, ICRR/ Institute for Advanced Study)

Cosmic Inventories: A New Look at the Evolution of the Universe

The evolution of Universe and the formation of cosmic structure
redistribute dark matter and baryons. They are associated with
creation and relocation of energies. I attempt to make the inventory of
the matter budget and the energy distribution, and discuss what
we learn from it concerning the physics in the Universe.

The seminar will be held in the Gilman room in Agassiz house,
Radcliffe Institute (at the corner of Mason and Garden St. 10 min walk
from CfA and Harvard Sq.) at 2:30pm.

=======================================

Wed, Mar 3rd, 12:30pm

Masataka Fukugita (U. Tokyo, ICRR/ Institute for Advanced Study)

Morphologically Classified Galaxies --- SDSS Visual Classification Project

The SDSS project produces a large, photometrically-homogeneous catalogue
of galaxies with spectroscopic information. I have been conducting a
visual morphological classification project for bright galaxies for
years. I discuss why this somewhat old-fashioned project is necessary
and present some recent results from this work, especially for star
formation properties.

The seminar will be held in Phillips Auditorium at 12:30pm.