[Assistant-faculty] Colloquium on Friday

Hi everyone,

this coming Friday at 3 pm Prof. Antonaldo Diaferio from the University of
Turin (currently at Harvard-CfA for a sabbatical) will be our colloquium
speaker (see title and abstract below). Let me know by the end of tomorrow
(Thursday) if you would like to meet with him.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Danilo

"The Expansion History of the Universe: Myths and Facts"

Data from extensive surveys of high-redshift type Ia supernovae and
gamma-ray bursts have usually been interpreted as a robust indication that
the Universe expansion had an initial deceleration phase followed by the
present acceleration phase.
Because the solution based on the standard cosmological constant appears
to be problematic, alternative cosmological models have been proposed
under the assumption that this expansion history is well constrained by
current data. I show that, when analysed with a proper Bayesian approach,
this interpretation is not in fact as robust as usually assumed.
I show that the data do not exclude an expansion history substantially
different from the standard model. This result suggests that the range of
possibilities of alternative theories of gravity and cosmology can be
wider than usually conceived.

Danilo Marchesini
Assistant Professor in Astronomy & Astrophysics
Tufts University
Robinson Hall
212 College Avenue
Medford, MA 02155 USA