[Assistant-faculty] Colloquium today at 3pm

Dear colleagues,

Just a reminder that we have a coloquium today at 3pm:

3:00 pm
Friday, May 13, 2011
Anderson Hall, Room 313
TUFTS UNIVERSITY
Physics and Astronomy Colloquium
"Gaseous Halos and Galaxy Evolution: Latest Results from the Hubble Space
Telescope"
Jason Tumlinson
Space Telescope Science Institute
A long-standing body of theory suggests that gas filling the extended
halos of galaxies plays a significant role in their formation and
evolution. The "circumgalactic medium" should contain both the fuel for
and products of star formation in galaxies, but these regions are
relatively unexplored owing to their extremely low densities. HST's new
Cosmic Origins Spectrograph is a major advance in our ability to detect
and study these diffuse regions of gaseous galaxy halos. I will first
survey the intellectual history of this subject up to the present time,
and then describe new results from a large HST/COS program to examine
systematically the gas flowing in and out of galaxy halos and to determine
its role in ongoing galaxy evolution.
Refreshments served at 2:30 in Robinson Hall, Room 251