[Assistant-faculty] Meetings with job candidates

Dear Friends,

Our marathon month+ of job candidate visits begins this week with the first candidate for the CMP position, Dr. Lisa Manning. We are all going to feel exhausted, overworked and burned out. Nevertheless I am asking you to make an effort to attend all the job talks and meet individually with as many of the candidates as you possibly can, regardless of field. If you're not on the relevant search committee, half an hour is enough.  There are many reasons, most importantly:
  • Whoever we hire will be your colleague, quite possibly for the rest of your professional career. It is very much in your interest to have a voice in the selection;
  • It is very important that every candidate get a good impression of Tufts. Of course we need to make a good impression so that the person we want will want to come here. But we want all of them to go away with a high opinion of us -- these will be people who can send us students and postdocs, who will read our grant proposals and papers, etc., and who will be able to share their impressions, good or bad, with others in the same position. If we can't fill the schedule with conversations, it doesn't look good.
For Dr. Manning, we have the following openings:

Th. 1/27:  1:30 - 2:15 pm (Robinson)
Fr  1/28:   10:00 - 11:00 am (STC)
                   11:00 - 12:00 am (STC)
                    1:30 - 2:30 pm (Robinson)

Please email Peggy and Jackie (jacqueline dimichele tufts edu) to schedule an appointment.

If this method doesn't work I will have to start making individual phone calls, which will be annoying for all concerned.

Roger

begin:vcard
fn:Roger G. Tobin
n:Tobin;Roger G.
org:Tufts University;Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
adr;dom:;;4 Colby St.;Medford;MA;02155
email;internet:roger tobin tufts edu
title:Professor and Department Chair
tel;work:617-627-5461